Sunday, January 19, 2014

What the Teacher Wore {{Weeks 19 && 20}}

After a 2 week hiatus... I'm back. Sometimes you just need to take a time out to center yourself (or wrap your mind around being in the real world again) && that's the reason behind my absence from the keyboard. Having 2 weeks off from school was glorious...entering back into the land of 5:30 wake up calls and throwing on that teacher cape again...not so glorious. My body was shocked...my mind was shocked...and my brain had nothing nice to formulate into a blog post. Now that things have started to slow down, the full moon has passed, and the intense feelings of assessment anger have slowed to a simmer I'm ready to share Weeks 19 & 20 of What the Teacher Wore. Hang out to your coffee cups ladies (and maybe gentlemen) in blogger land...it's going to be a long one!

Week 19 was our first week back. It was a four day week for the kids && a short pin-spiration week for me because:
1.  Monday was a work day so you best believe I was in jeans and a long sleeve Charlestoned t-shirt (nothing fashion fab about that one).
2. Friday was a tired teacher t-shirt day grade level wide so again, the fashion gods would not be pleased with any posting of that ensemble.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slobbing it up && rolling into work like I rolled out of the bed and hit the door on days like these. However, they don't exactly fit the bill for "making an outfit your own without buying the exact same pieces in the picture"...therefore, I don't include them in the line up. With that said...here's the extremely short version of Week 19's Pin-spiration line up. {{Day 90 not included}}



Day 87 was the day of freezing temperatures. Down in the south we don't operate well with the cold so school was delayed for 3 hours. I know, I know, 'twas a silly thing for all the Northerners transplanted in the area (I know you walked to school in the snow), but it's how we roll down here and if you saw how many of my babies don't have freeze appropriate clothes, you would be on board with delaying it too. While everyone else in the Charleston area took to social media to complain about the delay, I was busy screaming, yelling and dancing down the hallway with my teacher friends like we were teenage girls at a One Direction concert. Jack Frost, you don't know you're beautiful! So with my extra time I was able to curl my hair and not have bags under my eyes. Thankfully I did all of the electricity required tasks first thing because the power went out all over West Ashley. Getting dressed without light is a funny thing...sitting in a crazy amount of traffic because traffic lights run off of electricity too is also a funny thing. Even funnier, apparently 9:00 is the normal hour for people to go to work. Sheesh, who know??
Cardigan: Target
Shirt: Target
Skinnies: GAP
Boots: Madden Girl (Belk)
Scarf: Hand Made by my Granny

 Day 88 wasn't much warmer, but school started on time (I guess from all the complaining the morning before). We didn't go out to recess as turning into a Popsicle isn't exactly this southern chick's dream come true. Being able to rock one of my warmest/softest scarves and some boots is pretty dreamy though.  Side note to all of the fellow scarf lovers out there...end of season sales are the BEST time to stock up on scarves. My collection is overflowing, but you just can't pass up on a 50% off scarf sale.
Sweater: Express
Scarf: Steve Madden (Dillards)
Skinnies: Ralph Lauren (Belk)
Boots: Belk (??? Designer)
 
 
For Day 89 I put my new leggings to the test. I quickly learned that leggings are WAY more comfortable than tights && much warmer. My pin-spiration version has a lack of leggings, but when it's cold outside my bare legs don't come out to play. I added a cardigan for more layering (warmth) and for a pop of color.
Cardigan: GAP
Dress: American Eagle
Leggings: Express
Boots: Belk (??? Designer)
 
Week 20 was a full week...5 full days with kids AND A FULL MOON. Only fellow teachers can fully understand the craziness that a full moon will bring. Everyone survived, but lawd did I have to fly in on my broom stick to make it happen??
With slightly warmer temps my boots took some time off and my flats got some quality time with my feet. I don't know what I would do without  my colored skinnies. I was a skinny jean skeptic this time last year. I'm not that stick skinny model that they always show rockin' skinnies (hello butt and thighs) so I was freaked out by them. With a lot of pushing && "try it babe"s from the hubs, I gave them a try. Now I'm obsessed and they're heavily stocked in my closet. With that said cranberry is a color that I'm currently in love with. Cranberry with grey makes so much sense...throwing in a pop of leopard/cheetah (seriously which one is it?) made even more sense. && that's how Day 91 was born.
Cardigan: Target
Shirt: Old Navy
Skinnies: Jessica Simpson (Belk)
Shoes: Target
Scarf: TJ Maxx find
I warned you...I'm diggin' the cranberry color. Day 92 it popped into my life with a scarf. All black washed me out (it's been a while since I've bathed in the sun) so I threw in my trusty denim jacket to lighten up the black out.
Jacket: GAP
Scarf: Big Buddha (Christmas gift)
Shirt: Wet Seal (awesome layering tees)
Pants: The Limited
Shoes: Target
I realized today that I've used this Pin-spiration before...something in me really likes the combo?!? The original plan was to replicate the outfit exactly. However, in a crazed moment of "oh crap I'm going to be late and not have a parking spot" I grabbed my black boots and out the door I went.
Cardigan: Target
Shirt: American Eagle
Pants: Jessica Simpson (Belk)
Boots: Madden Girl (Belk)
This poor sweater dress has been sitting in my closet for a long time without getting any love. I dragged it out of the dark corner of despair that it had been shoved in (unintentionally), paired it with leggings and boots && that was all she wrote.
Cardigan: Target
Dress: Jessica Simpson (Belk)
Scarf: TJ Maxx find
Leggings: Express
Boots: Rampage (Belk)
 
 
Day 95 was another Jeans Day. It was also Awards Ceremony Day (the day with no planning) so a t-shirt wasn't an option. I'm not a huge fan of my winter wardrobe...I have tons of sweaters and they all look the same. Scarves are my go to life saver. For Christmas one of my sweet littles got me a scarf. This kid will be a future fashionista because she is always ALWAYS peeping my outfits and commenting on my scarves. I've seen her eyeballing my scarves since we've been back in school so when I was planning out Day 95 I started with her scarf and built an outfit around it. Of course she wasn't there on Friday to see it so it will be making another appearance in the days to come. This isn't an exact replica of the Pin-spiration version largely because it incorporated fur and I'm not a fur fanatic (no to fake fur and definitely no to real fur). Of course the heels were a no go too (ain't nobody got time to stomp around in those bad boys). I stuck with the overall color scheme and that's what this "What the Teacher Wore" journey is all about..making an outfit your own. You don't have to own the exact pieces in an outfit pin to make it happen in your life.
Sweater: Express
Layering Shirt: Wet Seal
Skinnies: GAP
Boots: Rampage (Belk)
Scarf: Christmas Gift
 
You can put your coffee cups down now, the whirl wind of teacher fashion is over for this week. With a 3 day weekend in full effect my plan is to at some point blog about what we've been up to in B-104 because getting dressed is only 1/4 of the battle. Howevever, a sushi lunch date with my main squeeze is screaming my name. Until next time, live, love & teach like your kids are more important than their scores. 



No comments:

Post a Comment