Tuesday, November 13, 2012

For the Love of Reading!

It's no secret that I love to dress up. . .Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays because of this. Last Halloween I was a hula dancer with a green tutu as my grass skirt. Completely nailed it & won the cutest costume award at the Halloween party. I was worried that I would never get to use my tutu again, but teaching saved the day and I've worn it for anything and everything from St. Patrick's day, wacky tacky day, and now for the kick off to National Young Reader's week! I'm crazy about my tutu!

As part of the kick off, students and teachers were invited to dress up as their favorite book character. With it being a Monday, a lot of my sweet lovelies forgot, but their teacher. . .well I didn't! I went back and forth over the weekend about what character I wanted to be and I finally decided on turning myself into Olive the Other Reindeer. If you haven't heard of this story it's an absolutely precious adventure of a dog who thinks she's one of the othe reindeer that they sing about. She goes to the North Pole and is lucky enough to get to tag along with Santa and his reindeer- -an adventure you won't want to miss out on.


In honor of National Young Reader's week I'm attaching a copy of the reading log that my students are using. Every day during their center rotations my students visit the green center- -which is the self selected reading center. To hold them accountable for what they're reading, they have to fill out their reading log for the day. They are responsible for filling in the title and determining if the book is fiction or non-fiction. There are 3 circles on the log that I fill in with a smiley face, a slanted face, and a sad face (in pen because I can't draw well with a mouse). If the students liked their book they color in the smiley face. If they kind of liked it, they color in the slanted face. If they really didn't enjoy the book, they color in the sad face. On Fridays I read a book to them that they use to fill in their log and then write about their favorite part. Just a little something to share the excitement of reading. . .from my class to yours! You can grab a copy by clicking on the picture below. 





No comments:

Post a Comment